Re: What is Vintage?(long)

To: Larry Moeller <elmo@inreach.com>
Subject: Re: What is Vintage?(long)
From: "John A. Rollins" <nobozos@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 05:31:07 -0700
Larry:

Thanks for the vote of confidence - I was going to post a similar note
regarding the SCCA Licensing program but, from me, it would have sounded
like a shameless promotion.  At least in the Southeast, SCCA has the
reputation for teaching a student more about real-life racing procedures
and techniques than any other organizating body.  Sure, there's a fair
amount of bureaucratic red tape (knowing who to go to for what, etc...)
but let's face it, when you REALLY NEED to go out with some other
session to test a repair for a few laps you need to know this stuff - or
at least remember where to look it up!  Beyond that, the instructors
assigned give you personal attention (usually 2 students to one
instructor) and advice on driving and strategy.  In the Florida Regions,
we try to have Vintage drivers instruct students taking the school in
Vintage cars - it gives us the opportunity to talk about the philosophy
of Vintage racing along with all the other areas.  Central Florida
Region has supplimental rules allowing the acceptance of any competition
license from a VMC-member club at their events; Florida Region is
considering adopting the same policy (our vehicle eligibilty rules
usually eliminate the "win at any cost" entries as we are more like SVRA
used to be than HSR).

Anyway, thanks for the kind words from a club that is used to being
bashed from the Vintage community (not without good reason at times).
If you want a true race driving school seriously consider SCCA.  I feel
more comfortable with SCCA-trained drivers that any others, knowing they
have been exposed to full gamot of racing situations and instructed on
the proper responses.

*8o)

John A. Rollins, Vintage Race Coordinator
Florida Region, SCCA

http://www.netcom.com/~nobozos/