Re: What is Vintage?(long)

To: EHSMITH@us.oracle.com
Subject: Re: What is Vintage?(long)
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 16:57:40 PDT
Ted,

A good discussion on getting started (restarted) in racing.  As you
pointed out, CSRG does have a good driver attitude program.  They call
it Driver Observers.  One or more drivers from one of the other groups
watches each group run.  They rotate.  It also give you the perspective
from the other side of the wall.  It doesn't take long to figure out
what's appropriate and what's not.  OTOH, CSRG has no licensing
requirements, per se.  If you have a valid medical card, and all the
equipment, you can run (sort of).  They do have a clinic once or twice a
year for new drivers, but nothing like the grief SCCA puts novices thru.
;=( CSRG is a little picky about car originality, but not race history.
They also backed off on the tire regs somewhat.  HMSA does tend to be
more picky about the cars (and tires), but I find a great assortment of
period correct cars to run with there.  You should try one of the
non-spectator HMSA events to get the feel of it without all the crowds.
The Wine Country event is a nice one tho.  HMSA does not have a real
license requirement either.  SCCA does.  The SCCA Vintage event coming
up in October should be a good one.  They want either a VMC or SCCA
license.  I'm not sure how lax they are prepared to be.  I went thru
SCCA Driver's School to get a Vintage license from them, but all CSRG
and HMSA want is my medical card.  I use the same medical form for both
SCCA and CSRG.  HMSA accepts the CSRG medical card, and vice versa.
CSRG is a real nice bunch of people to race with.  It also helped that
my car was so well known within CSRG, it rated a special mention in
their rules. ;=)