RE: Pomona Reports??

To: "'MHKitchen@aol.com'" <MHKitchen@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Pomona Reports??
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thrunet.net>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:57:46 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From:   MHKitchen@aol.com [SMTP:MHKitchen@aol.com]
Sent:   Monday, May 19, 1997 3:24 PM
To:     wsthompson@thrunet.net; vintage-race@autox.team.net

<< I'd say that some organizations must be issuing licenses pretty =
freely. >>

I'd have to say we all know this is true....there's really no =
qualifications
required.  As a past event organizer AND a participant, I can see the =
good in
a system that gets participants to police themselves.  CSRG has used (at
least in the past) a Driver Observer system that was good at getting =
people
to realize when they screwed up.  Instead of one guy ALWAYS being the =
bad guy
who yells at the drivers, volunteer drivers would man the D.O. (i.e. =
Black
Flag) station and talk to those who screwed up during the respective
sessions.  Getting volunteers isn't always easy, but it is effective.  =
By
having participants work the event, particularly if they must wear a =
headset
for any period of time and listen to the reports and what the corner =
workers
are looking for out there, they can certainly gain an appreciation of =
how
they must appear when they're out there screwing up.  In most cases, I'd =
say
it helps to get them in line. =20

I think most of us have had "brain fade" or encountered the "red mist" =
at one
time or another.  Sufficient embarassement in front of your peers is =
usually
effective at calming most people down.  Those that are habitual =
offenders,
need more serious talking to, and/or disciplinary actions by the Chief
Stewart and/or Board of the appropriate club.  Sending people home =
and/or
becoming ineligible to participate for a period of time is effective, in =
my
opinion.

I guess the point is...I think there's too much leniency in many =
incident reviews. I've heard driver's committees prodding drivers to =
indicate some mechanical difficulty that caused their dumbass move that =
got them there.=20

I was involved in an enduro 4 years ago  On the 48th lap out of 50, a =
driver (who admitted his brakes were gone for 2 laps), stayed out on the =
track, at speed, lost it, slid through the grass, pulled the handbrake =
(now he has no handbrake and no steering) slid back across the track and =
T-boned me at over 70mph. Every day my neck reminds me of this incident.

Equally as dangerous are the guys that drive really fast cars poorly, =
brake before the turn... realize they've braked too early... get on the =
gas again... then brake IN the turn.=20

So the meek are as dangerous as the over-zealous.

WST
Myles H. Kitchen=20