Re: Pomona Reports??

To: wsthompson@thrunet.net, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Pomona Reports??
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 16:24:18 -0400 (EDT)

<< I'd say that some organizations must be issuing licenses pretty freely. >>

I'd have to say we all know this is true....there's really no qualifications
required.  As a past event organizer AND a participant, I can see the good in
a system that gets participants to police themselves.  CSRG has used (at
least in the past) a Driver Observer system that was good at getting people
to realize when they screwed up.  Instead of one guy ALWAYS being the bad guy
who yells at the drivers, volunteer drivers would man the D.O. (i.e. Black
Flag) station and talk to those who screwed up during the respective
sessions.  Getting volunteers isn't always easy, but it is effective.  By
having participants work the event, particularly if they must wear a headset
for any period of time and listen to the reports and what the corner workers
are looking for out there, they can certainly gain an appreciation of how
they must appear when they're out there screwing up.  In most cases, I'd say
it helps to get them in line.

I think most of us have had "brain fade" or encountered the "red mist" at one
time or another.  Sufficient embarassement in front of your peers is usually
effective at calming most people down.  Those that are habitual offenders,
need more serious talking to, and/or disciplinary actions by the Chief
Stewart and/or Board of the appropriate club.  Sending people home and/or
becoming ineligible to participate for a period of time is effective, in my
opinion.

Myles H. Kitchen