Re: Can-Am Question

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Can-Am Question
From: Jeff Benedict <raoul@olympus.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 13:53:25 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996 JUtter914@aol.com wrote:

> >....  There will never again be such a sound as the rolling grid of the
> >early '70s can-am (with those Traco chevys and flat twelves howling), as
> >it swept around corner 14 and up the hill to the green flag.

Last July, at the SOVERN Northwest Historics, the CanAm cars were featured.

The event was at Seattle International Raceways (SIR- or to you NW old
timers- Pacific Raceway) and I was pretty disappointed.  They only ran at
"full-chat" for one lap and then just kind of idled around.

I guess the novelty of seeing old-time racers touring the track has lost
its allure for me because I'm not sure that I'm going this year.  The
"real action" was Bruce McCaw getting his Mirage sideways and running
itup the bank o turn seven but that was kind of a crash and, having
crewed on a motorcyclle race team, I always look at crashes as "bad things".

I do enjoy Pete Lovely's Testa Rossa, mainly because he goes out and
drives the living hell out of that million dollar rig.  The Edelbrock
camp is cool, too.  And Augie Pabst in the Meisterbrauser Scarab.

I wouldn't mind hooking up with an old Formula Vee and drive it around
and around but I'm 6'1" and a bulky 300 lbs, so that is kind of out...

What the hell..... I'll probably go

Jeff