Datsun 2000 Lightweight Roadsters

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Datsun 2000 Lightweight Roadsters
From: oldirish@ix.netcom.com (Jerry & Lori Liudahl)
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 1996 21:35:39 -0700
Don Chapman has done soemthing he never thought he would do, purchase a
Japanese car!  The Purple Lips Racing Team has purchased a 1968 Datsun
2000 Lightweight Roadster to campaign along with our 1961 Austin Healey
3000.

There were apparently only 5 or 6 of these cars built by the factory
for racing in the USA and Canada.  Our car is thought to be the
Canadian champion in its production class.  Some or all were prepared
by Pete Brock's BRE.  The car bodies were constructed of 20 ga. steel
and lightened elsewhere as much as possible.

Records on these cars appears to be limited.  Any help, pictures,
literature would be welcome and appreciated.  Reply to either Don
Chapman at plips@teleport.com or myself.  Thanks in advance for any
help you can give no matter how trivial it may seem.

Jerry Liudahl
Purple Lips Racing Team
oldirish@ix.netcom.com
http://www.netcom.com/~oldirish/lip_service.html

[...]

Does anyone have any information on the lightweight Datsun 2000
roadsters prepared by the factory to run in the US and Canada circa
1968/1969?

Don Chapman has purchased one of the 5 or 6 cars produced, to campaign
along with his Austin Healey 3000 in NW vintage events under the Purple
Lips Racing Team banner.

These cars were distinctive, as the bodies were made from 20 ga steel
and lightened as much as possible.  All or most may have been prepared
here in the USA by Pete Brock's BRE racing shop.  Our car is known to
have gone to Canada and was won Canadian championhip in its production
class.

We would appreciate any help or information that anyone has on these
cars.  Please reply to Don Chapman at plips@teleport.com or to myself
at either address below.  Thanks.