Re: Steel wheels

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steel wheels
From: jeh@world.std.com (jim hayes)
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 20:40:20 -0400
> To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
> Subject: Steel wheels
>
>  Hi all,
>
>  Am I misleading the the jag-lovers page by saying that there have been
> problems with period steel road wheels in vintage racing? I've heard  (her
> that some steel wheels work harden and break/crack from the stresses of ra
> Is this specific to one make? Has there been any problem w/ older Jaguar s
> wheels? There are some new racing steel wheels, why are they different?
>  THANX
> Mark McChesney

Alfa steel wheels crack at the lug nuts or even separate at the weld between
the hub and rim. Big problem with soft compounds. I know of three instances
in the last 5 years, one resulting in a rollover. Now almost everybody uses
hard compounds and inspects wheels regularly.

Jim Hayes -   Vintage racing '57 & '62 Alfa Spiders
 jeh@fotec.com              http://www.std.com/fotec/jim.htm
All generalizations, with the possible exception of this one, are false.