Re: [TR] (no subject)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] (no subject)
From: Paul Tegler <ptegler@verizon.net> mail.backend.jedi.jws.acl:role.jedi.acl.token.atz.jws.hermes.aol
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2023 15:35:43 -0400

--------------0du0kIvZL330cldl8QGpDeMD

simply measure ohms from the WHT wire at the ignition switch to the  +
(plus)  wire for your ignition coil.
If you do not have a VERY low ohm reading, (< .5 ohms) the harness
itself has the built in resistance wire designed for the 1.5ohm or so
coil use
(vs the separate ceramic resistor usually mounted near the coil).
...speaking of which, you can get rid of that resistor and just use a 3
ohm coil if you do not have an elec box for the distributor
(straight old style points in use)

ptegler

--
Paul Tegler
ptegler@verizon.net   www.teglerizer.com

--------------0du0kIvZL330cldl8QGpDeMD

  <head>
  </head>
      the  + (plus)  wire for your ignition coil.<br>
      If you do not have a VERY low ohm reading, (&lt; .5 ohms) the
      harness itself has the built in resistance wire designed for the
      1.5ohm or so coil use<br>
      (vs the separate ceramic resistor usually mounted near the coil).<br>
      ...speaking of which, you can get rid of that resistor and just
      use a 3 ohm coil if you do not have an elec box for the
      distributor<br>
      (straight old style points in use)</p>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:CADm3DLFne_daZiDLvoF5pX94Hhzv+StkmPLLOuOkc_17wsgv5Q@mail.gmail.com">
          the resistors installed.  I'm certain mine doesn't have that
          feature.  </div>
          weeks!</div>
            6:40â?¯PM Alex &amp; Janet Thomson &lt;<a
              href="mailto:aljlthomson@charter.net";
              moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">aljlthomson@charter.net</a>&gt;
            wrote:<br>
            0.8ex;border-left:1px solid
            rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Don't forget that there
            may be a resistance wire in the feed circuit to the coil
            which limits voltage and available current. I found out the
            hard way when We had a Pertronix ignition set-up being fed
            by the coil wire. That low voltage starved the Pertronix
            unit twice before I realized what the issue was.<br>
            Alex Thomson<br>
            -----Original Message-----<br>
            From: Triumphs [mailto:<a
              href="mailto:triumphs-bounces@autox.team.net";
              target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
              class="moz-txt-link-freetext">triumphs-bounces@autox.team.net</a>]
            On Behalf Of Randy and Valerie DeRuiter<br>
            I did a similar conversion a few years ago on a TR3 and Iâ??m
            fairly certain that needs to be switched power to the unit.
            I donâ??t have a wiring diagram handy but you may be ok adding
            the small brown wire to the same terminal as the large brown
            wire - and run a separate connection for the switch power.
            The positive coil terminal could be a convenient place.<br>
            Randy<br>
            Sent from my iPad<br>
            &gt; On Apr 9, 2023, at 1:19 PM, Brad Kahler &lt;<a
              href="mailto:bkahler1@gmail.com"; target="_blank"
              moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">bkahler1@gmail.com</a>&gt;
            wrote:<br>
            &gt; <br>
            &gt; <br>
            &gt; I'm trying to troubleshoot a problem with the new
            wiring in my TR6  Here's the configuration:<br>
            &gt; <br>
            &gt; 1) Mini Denso 70 amp alternator 3-wire <br>
            &gt; 2) New wiring harness from TRF<br>
            &gt; 3) Positive cable connected to battery<br>
            &gt; 4) Between negative cable and ground I have a fuse
            inserted with a small amp meter (this way if a short occurs
            while testing the fuse will blow before damaging anything
            and I can read the current draw if/until the fuse blows)<br>
            &gt; 5) White wire at distributor disconnected<br>
            &gt; 6) No dash instruments connected<br>
            &gt; 7) Rear harness not installed yet<br>
            &gt; 8) TBI power connector not connected<br>
            &gt; 9) Harness in engine compartment mostly connected <br>
            &gt; 10) Alternator connected<br>
            &gt; 11) Fuse between brown and purple wires is NOT in place<br>
            &gt; <br>
            &gt; <br>
            &gt; When I connect the ground I immediately start showing a
            4 amp draw.  When I disconnect the small brown wire on the
            alternator the current draw disappears. <br>
            &gt; <br>
            &gt; The wires area connected as follows.  The brown/yellow
            wire goes to the (1) connector on the alternator for dash
            light.  <br>
            &gt; <br>
            &gt; The small solid brown wire goes to the (2) connector on
            the alternator called "switched live" from the battery.
            Currently the small brown wire is always live from the
            battery per Triumph design.  If the "switched live' note
            means the brown wire is supposed to be cold when the
            ignition switch is off then that is likely the problem.  <br>
            &gt; <br>
            &gt; All of this tells me the brown wire needs to be from
            the ignition switch on position and only live when the
            ignition is on.  I don't have any way to really test my
            theory because I haven't got the engine running yet and
            won't for a few weeks.  I'd like to resolve this before I go
            much further with the wiring install.<br>
            &gt; <br>
            &gt; Thanks,<br>
            &gt; <br>
            &gt; Brad<br>
            &gt; <br>
            &gt; <br>
            &gt; <br>
            &gt; <br>
            &gt; ** <a href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";
              target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
              class="moz-txt-link-freetext">triumphs@autox.team.net</a>
            **<br>
            &gt; <br>
            &gt; Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
            &gt; Archive: <a
              href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs";
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>
              target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
              class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
            &gt; <br>
            &gt; Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/deruiterville@hotmail.com";
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/deruiterville@hotmail.com</a><br>
            ** <a href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net"; target="_blank"
              moz-do-not-send="true"
class="moz-txt-link-freetext">triumphs@autox.team.net</a>
            **<br>
            Donate: <a href="http://www.team.net/donate.html";
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/donate.html</a><br>
            Archive: <a href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs";
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>
              target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"
              class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>
            Unsubscribe/Manage: <a
href="http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/aljlthomson@charter.net";
              rel="noreferrer" target="_blank" moz-do-not-send="true"

class="moz-txt-link-freetext">http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/triumphs/aljlthomson@charter.net</a><br>
      <fieldset class="moz-mime-attachment-header"></fieldset>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre" wrap="">** <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:triumphs@autox.team.net";>triumphs@autox.team.net</a> **

href="http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs";>http://www.team.net/pipermail/triumphs</a>
  <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.team.net/archive";>http://www.team.net/archive</a>