RE: head removal

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: head removal
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 07:12:10 -0800
> How about using wooden shims in between the head and the block?  I happen to
> have some cedar shims from another project.  They shouldn't hurt the metal
> surface of the head or the block should they?

Dunno, never tried it.  (I've never rebuilt a Triumph 6 pot.)  But I've seen the
edge of a TR3 cylinder block crumble a lot easier than I thought it would.

>  As it is now I suspect the
> gasket or something is still holding it because it doesn't budge when I try
> to pick it up.

Probably a combination of the gasket, and crud between the studs & their
passages.

Repeated movement usually helps, if you've got it up a bit using the rope trick,
you can try knocking it back down with a brass hammer and then lifting it up
again.  And as I mentioned before, if you can see that the gap is uneven, then
tapping down on the high side may help too.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org