Re: Winterizing the TR6 ... distilled wisdom please

To: tr3driver@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Winterizing the TR6 ... distilled wisdom please
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:15:21 EST
In a message dated 11/9/2005 10:06:36 PM Central Standard Time,
tr3driver@comcast.net writes:
> If the charcoal can absorb moisture from the air, it will quickly become
> saturated and not absorb any more.  Then any air sucked into the tank by
> changes
> in barometric pressure will have a full load of water.

The net gain in air in the tank will be zero.  This means that air will flow
back and fourth through the charcoal.  Here in the Midwest most of that air
exchange will be the result of temperature changes.  Air will flow in as the
weather cools down and colder air will hold less moisture.  And being cooler it
will be closer to its saturation point causing the charcoal to absorb some of
the moisture.  As the weather warms up and the air in the tank expands because
it is warmer it will be dryer pulling the moisture out of the charcoal
preparing it for the next round.

> The charcoal may evenaggravate the problem, by humidifying the air sucked in
> when the pressure rises
> after a rainstorm.  And if it's then cooled to the dew point, any droplets
> will
> run under the gasoline and thus be prevented from evaporating again.

Most states that suffer from these meteorological conditions have an
effective agricultural lobby and thus have ethanol levels in the gasoline that
approach 10% which will soak up a winter's worth of condensation.  Especially
if the
tank is full.

But we are getting a bit off topic.  My point is that if you have a later
model TR with the evap loss control system it will be more tolerant of disuse
than will an earlier model that does not.

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org