Re: TR4 fan

To: markvaden@gmail.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 fan
From: Dave1massey@cs.com
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 15:59:35 EST
In a message dated 11/4/2005 1:32:49 PM Central Standard Time,
markvaden@gmail.com writes:
> Hi,
>
> While at triumphest, someone mentioned that my fan was bolted on backwards.
> My car in general does not run hot, but sometimes in stop and go traffic in
> southern california I will run too hot. So my question is, how can I tell
> which is the proper way for the fan to be mounted? Is the fan supposed to
> push or pull? Also can I remove the fan without removing the radiator?

Switch the fan on and see which way the air blows.  It should blow air from
the front of the radiator out the engine side.

But that is only half the story.  Most fan blades are biased for a particular
direction of turning.  Tot best determine this is to remove the fan and hook
it up to a battery with one polarity and then the other.  The difference in
airflow will be noticeable from mere observation (holding your hand in front of
it).  Note the preferred direction of air flow and mount the fan with the
above airflow in mind and you will have optimized the system.

Cheers

Dave

===     http://www.vtr.org