Paint prices??

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Paint prices??
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 15:42:01 -0800
Its been a while since I have painted anything, but have prices gotten out
of hand, or is my local paint place charging too much???
I went in to my local Tri-city paint, the place where many body shops
around here do business, and told the counter guy what he would recommend,
since its been probably ten years since I did any real painting.  I figured
that paints had progressed somewhat, and I wanted to find out what would be
a good primer for a large project that would be done in several stages,
over several months.  I told him that I would be replacing some with new
sheet metal in a hard to reach area, and that I wanted some corrosion
protection, fair sand-ability, and that if left unfinished coated, that is
bare primer, that I would have some protection from rust or corrosion until
several months later when The rest of the project would catch up to it and
would be painted.  I realized of course that the area would have to be
re-sanded/primed, prior to the final finishing, but I wanted it to be
somewhat protected until then.
He suggested a PPG epoxy primer (grey), catalyzed, so I asked how much for
a gallon, figuring that it would eventually be used over this entire
project.  He came back with a quote of almost $200, for the paint and
catalyst!  Now I was figuring that I'd be out maybe $50-$60 so when he came
back with a $200 amount, FOR PRIMER, I almost croaked!  Am I out of line
here?  Have prices gone up that much??  Can I get this stuff over the net
for less, or is shipping paint a NO-NO here in California?
Barry Schwartz (San Diego)