Air Compressor Redux

To: Michael Godley <mgodley@tiac.net>
Subject: Air Compressor Redux
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 13:26:31 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net hAHISUGx011596
Message text written by Michael Godley
>I have one of the vertical Sears 115 v.5.5 HP 30Gal units...yes it's
loud, and not happy on the extension cord I have been using.  I am planning
to wire my garage this winter and figured to put the compressor on a
dedicated circuit (20AMP?)..What size circuit and wire guage would you
recommend...I do have 200amp service.
<

Local code usually specifies 12 awg for a 20 amp circuit but if you have a
rather long run and want to minimize line drop you can go up a size or two.

A friend of mine has about a 100 ft run from his box in the house to his
garage.  Back when he was running the garage off of a 12 AWG line the
florescent lights blinked out whenever the fridge kicked in.  We have since
installed a subpanel fed by some 2 AWG wire and no problems now.

The size of your service doesn't matter but the branch circuit feeding the
garage must be connected to a breaker that is no bigger than the wire it
feeds.  (It can be smaller but not bigger).

Dave