Re: Air Compressor Redux

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Air Compressor Redux
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:53:09 -0500
Hi Jerry,

Well, it would seem there are lots of opinions out there on air
compressors. The most predominant advice I seem to get is "get a bigger
one" almost no matter what size is mentioned.

Randall Young over at Triumphs has explained why that compressor which
is rated at 19.5 CFM @ 100 PSI and 18 CFM @ 175 PSI will supply less
than 1/2 the air requirement of a simple air body saw (6 CFM). And we're
not even close to what sand blasting would require.

Randall explained...
... and you'll hopefully see that "19.5 scfm @ 100 psi" really
means "2.5 cfm @ 100 psi" meaning that big, honkin air compressor won't
keep up ...

So, it's starting to feel like there is no such thing as an adequate air
compressor -- at least not under $5-10K or so. (OK -- Pick a number --
anything over $1K is too much for me)

:-)

Don Malling