RE: TR6 Front Hub spec.

To: "'Hugh Barber'" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>, "'6 List'" <6pack@autox.team.net>, "'Triumph list'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 Front Hub spec.
From: "Jim Davis" <jdavis344@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 00:08:33 -0400
Hugh,
Thanks for your thoughts, but yes & yes. My question really is, how much
movement should there be from the wheel when one grasps it in the 12 and
6 o'clock position if the bearings are properly preloaded? One of the
manuals mention a .003-.005 clearance but it doesn't state where the
measurement should be taken.

I may be overly concerned about the bearings being too tight. But with
the nut torqued to 10 lbs my rotors are frozen and turning the nut 1.5-2
flats still causes a "drag" to be felt. Is this the way it should feel?
When I back off until I feel the bearings are turning freely, the wheel
feels way too loose.

Jim Davis
Fortson, GA
CF38690UO

Jim,
I'm probably making suggestions that you already considered but are the
bearings in new/good condition.?  Are the bearing races fully and
squarely "seated" in the hubs?

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA
'73 TR6

I installed new "modern" front oil seals on my hubs but I still feel
they are too loose after using the Haynes Manual technique of tightening
to 10 lbs. torque and backing off 1.5-2 flats. Actually, when I only
back off the recommended # of flats the hub feels as if it's binding a
bit so I back off a bit more. Should I feel a bit of binding when
adjusting as instructed? How much play should there be when grabbing the
wheel at the 12-6 o'clock position?

I don't want to burn a bearing up on the way to the TRials next week,
but I also don't feel comfortable with the slack I have now.

All suggestions and opinions welcome.

Jim Davis

Fortson, GA

CF38690UO