RE: fog/driving light wiring in vintage rally cars

Subject: RE: fog/driving light wiring in vintage rally cars
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 08:38:00 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
> I'll be
> putting in a new brown wire direct from the battery just for the lights.

Just a thought ... when you're running down the road (which presumably is
when you need bright lights the most), the highest voltage is not at the
battery, but rather at the alternator output terminal.

When I upgraded my TR3A to a 60 amp alternator, I ran 8 AWG wire from the
output to a new terminal on the firewall, basically an insulated 1/4" bolt
(some Fords have this, as does my Triumph Stag), which became the new tie
point for high current accessories.  The original brown wire is also tied
in, so the ammeter works normally (which it won't if you tie directly to the
battery).

Also, if your alternator has a Lucar connector for the main output, I would
seriously consider changing it for something a little more positive.  I've
seen quite a few TR6 with problems at this connector, and my Stag suffered a
meltdown a few months ago for the same reason.  A simple bolt and ring
terminal works quite well, and is what most cars use here.

Randall