Re: [SPIT6CGT6] GT6 tranny ideas

To: Brooks Bullock <airsmyth@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: [SPIT6CGT6] GT6 tranny ideas
From: Joe Curry <Spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 09:18:11 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Brooks Bullock wrote:

> And I understand that the first motion shaft from the GT6 MKIII will not
> mesh with the Laygear (fourth gear position) Spitfire single or three rail
> gearbox ?

Brooks,
The Later GT6 Box is essentially the same as a MkIV Spit 3 rail.  THe
differences are in the length of the input shaft and the gear ratios.
What makes the GT6 box attractive for Spitfire people is the close ratio
gearing.  It is essentially the same as what was offered for racing for
the Spitfire box.  THese close ratio gears specifically made for the
Spitfire box are very difficult (if not impossible) to find.  Therefore,
the GT6 box when properly modified proves to be a good alternative.

One of the drawbacks to doing the modification is the limited variety of
clutch disks available.  Ted S. sells a couple of different ones but
both of them are solid instead of having the springs that help absorb
the impact of clutch engagement.  Bob Totten has apparently found an off
the shelf disk from some MG application that is reported to work.  That
is about all I know.  If it does work, it will probably be more suited
for street use than a solid one.

Regards,
JOe