Re: TR250 Electrical problems solved

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR250 Electrical problems solved
From: "Craig B. Foch" <cbfoch@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:36:43 -0700
For those times when you do not have access to independent observers, here
is a simple procedure for finding the culprit in no-crank or slow-crank
situations. It was a standard part of the curriculum at the automotive trade
school where I used to teach: (1) Check the voltage at the battery terminals
while cranking (or attempting to crank). This is your available cranking
voltage. If it is less than 10 volts, charge the battery and try again. If
it is still less than 10 volts, replace the battery. (2) Check the voltage
between the starter terminal and starter case while cranking (or attempting
to crank). If this voltage is within 1-2 volts of available cranking
voltage, then the starter circuit is fine. Your problem is either mechanical
(e.g., engine seized) or the starter itself. (3) If the voltage at the
starter is not within 1.0-1.5 volts of available voltage, start checking
voltage drops (while cranking) at every high-amperage cable/terminal
connection. Start at either battery terminal, and continue checking until
you get back to the other battery terminal. If any of these are more than
0.1 volts, clean the connection and try again. If the voltage drop is still
excessive, replace the connector. (4) If the problem is still not solved,
check the voltage drops (while cranking) between the terminals of each
component in the circuit (cables and starter solenoid). In your case, the
voltage drop between the positive battery cable connections at the battery
and the starter solenoid would have quickly fingered the culprit.

Craig Foch
1963 TR4 CT 22268 L
1964 Ford Falcon Ranchero
1988 Daihatsu Charade (LJC: 993 CC 3-cyl)