Re: Changing oil filter with full oil system

To: <AVALON2455@aol.com>, <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Changing oil filter with full oil system
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 07:26:17 -0500
From: <AVALON2455@aol.com>

> The longer an engine sits, the more the oil drains down from the cylinder
> walls and rings...........I think the main advantage to warm oil  is that
it
> is circulating again, coating the rings and walls........so during the
time
> that you are changing to new oil, it isn't dry up there....until the
pressure
> is up and running again with the cold oil.

I really didn't follow that.  Can you explain it for the slightly-slow?

> Could be that the warm oil also
> gets all the crud into circulation again so it can drain out.....

That's why I do it.

> But, like Randall, I don't think it has to be boiling HOT!!!
Man!!!...That
> IS a pain!

I drain it boiling hot, but don't mess with the filter until it cools.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org