RE: Sadistic so-and-so's

To: "'Raymond Hatfield'" <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>, Tom White <tom.white@sgsi.com>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Sadistic so-and-so's
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 09:53:42 -0400
Sorry to rain on your parade, but if you are replacing old worn out bushings
with nice new or even harder than new urethane bushings, then the alignment
is off anyway. The toe-in (or whatever they call it for the rear wheels) may
stay the same (is say may because that assumes that the bushings were only
worn/softened up and down which is not likely) but the camber is most
definitely going to be off which requires shuffling the shims to correct.
Alas, I believe that just pulling the bolts doesn't save you anything on a
properly done job. Of course if the object of the exercise is just to ram
the bushings in and be roughly driveable, or for even simple maintenance,
then you are quite right, it would be best if the trailing arms could be
dropped without having to screw up the alignment. Some engineer didn't get
his tea the day they figured out that procedure.

Mark Hooper
72 TR6 (which is giving me all sorts of suspension joy)