Re: Sadistic so-and-so's

To: Tom White <tom.white@sgsi.com>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net> 2 00.nxlkhost.com>
Subject: Re: Sadistic so-and-so's
From: Raymond Hatfield <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 06:21:39 -0700 (PDT)
--- Tom White <tom.white@sgsi.com> wrote:
> I don't know if it was a british engineer, some mechanic or the DPO, but
> I'm really mad at somebody.  I'm mad at the person who put in the bolt
> on the inner bracket of the trailing arm on the rear suspension of my 4A
> IRS.  They must be sadistic because they decided to thread the bolt from
> the end which nearly abutts (sp?) the frame.  As a result, removing the
> trailing arm to replace the two bushings is not possible.  Instead, one
> must unbolt the whole bracket from the frame, upsetting the shims & rear
> camber, etc.  Would it have been so hard to just put the bolt in from
> the other side, where it could just be drawn out and the arm easily
> removed? Grrr!  Has anyone else shared this joy?  Is there some good
> reason for threading the bolt from the difficult side?
>
> - annoyed Tom

Hello Tom,

Yep, My '4A was set up exactly the same way.  My solution was to cut the head
off of the bolt with a grinder and replace it, rather than mess up the
alignment.  The only problem I found with that approach is the replacement
bolts(from Moss) were too long and hit the frame before the heads touched the
bracket.  Out came the grinder again and I wacked off about 1/4"  to make it
fit.  I only had to do this to the inboard bracket, plenty of room on the
outboard one.  I hope you have an easier time putting the arm back in place, I
had to beat on it with a hammer to get it back in.

=====
Raymond L. Hatfield
'65 TR4A IRS, O/D, SAH Tuned "Chance"
'73 Stag 4.3L, Auto, A/C, etc "Molly"