TR4: overdrive click-click-clicking (long)

To: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Subject: TR4: overdrive click-click-clicking (long)
From: Dave Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 13:55:12 -0400
Cc: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by Steven Newell
>Questions:

>1. is the click-click-click-click phenomenon a helpful clue, and
>if so, what does it mean?

This could mean a poorly adjusted inhibit switch or a dirty connection
somewhere.

>2. I haven't removed and cleaned the filter yet. It looks like I
>just remove the plug on the bottom, remove the bolt and filter.
>Right?

Easier said than done.  The big brass plug may not want to come out (Zen
and the art of TR maintenence?).  A big pipe wrench may do the trick or
using a brass drift and a hammer on the crennelations on the plug.  Take
care to not deform the plug too badly.

>3. anything else I should do that doesn't require disassembly of
>parts that are useful for driving to the grocery store?

On the A-type you can remove and service the pump and the accumulator
without disassembly but I can't tell you if you can actually withdraw the
accumulator with the transmission installed in the car.  The symptoms you
describe sound like you are not building up enough pressure which could be
a broken spring in the accumulator.  But then it may be just a solenoid
adjustment. Do that first.

>4. if you had to guess, what do you think the problem is: o/d
>clutch, hydraulics, solenoid, relay, switch, or current or past
>owner?

Check the solenoid adjustment first.  It's the easiest.  Don't follow the
book.  I believe Nelson's web site will explain why, other folks have.  You
have to go by feel.  If that checks out the next thing to do is check the
pressure.  I suspect you are not generating the necessary 500-600 PSI.  You
will need a special tool to check that.  If the pressure is not sufficient
it could be the pump, the screen, or the accumulator (which incorporates
the pressure relief valve.  All of these can be serviced without removing
the transmission (I think - assuming frame rails are not in the way).
Electrics won't cause the problem you describe.  Electrics will cause the
click-click-click-click problem but if your non-actuation is not coincident
with the click-click-etc then it is caused elsewhere.

>5. for grocery runs in a TR4 with two kids, which bags are
>better, paper or plastic?

Since you can fit two paper bags in 1/2 of the back seat get what you can
in two paper bags and the rest in plastic which can be stuffed in the
various nooks and crannies (or is the crooks and nannies?).

Good luck

Dave