re: TR4: overdrive click-click-clicking (long)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: re: TR4: overdrive click-click-clicking (long)
From: CarlSereda@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 16:17:01 EDT
Steven,
I would be very tempted to clean the filter - if it wants to engage and
disengage with a flip of the switch makes me think a clogged filter might be
holding things up. I read you need to keep the innards super clean in an OD
tranny. It would help to rig a special tool for that soft brass cover-plug
(impossible to find replacements probably-don't want to bugger it up) and
they need to be pretty tight not to leak. Otherwise you'll be always putting
your flattened grocery bags underneath to catch the drips. (paper ones more
workable)
Carl
'63 TR4

>>If I'm coasting downhill, it'll engage almost immediately and
behaves pretty much like I'd expect, dropping rpm's by a
good bit. I think it's *really* engaged, though sometimes it feels
 like it's actually "free floating" as if I was still stepping on the
clutch pedal. In any case when I step on the gas, even to
maintain speed, it'll slip out, sort of sliding back up to the
*regular* rpm's again. This makes me think "o/d clutch" though
maybe it means "not enough pressure".
2. I haven't removed and cleaned the filter yet. It looks like I
just remove the plug on the bottom, remove the bolt and filter.
Right?
5. for grocery runs in a TR4 with two kids, which bags are
better, paper or plastic?
Steven Newell
Denver, CO USA
'62 TR4 CT5018LO<<