re: Marglass

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Marglass
From: Doug Hamilton <douglasehamilton@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 12:22:34 -0600
Ken,

Marglass is made by the Marson division of Bondo corperation it is a
short strand fibre-glass reinforced body filler. Normally you would use
it where you need to strenghten a spot as well as fill it, an example
would be a spot where your have sand blasted out some surface rust and
are left with a pited area to fill. This kind of product is also called
"kitty hair" by tradesmen. The long strand version of this filler is
used mostly to do cheap and nasty repairs of  rust through or filling
larger holes. Any fibreglass reinforced filler will require a skim coat
of normal filler to get a good smooth finish before painting. I'm no
expert on the stuff the only place I have used it is to repair fibre
glass. It's ugly to work with, the fibre-glass reinforcing tends to
leave voids that you have to go back and fill and it takes a lot longer
to sand smooth than if you just hammer and dolly out the dents and use a
very thin coat of normal filler.
http://www.bondo-online.com/catalog_item.asp?itemNbr=11

My $0.02cad

Doug Hamilton