Re: Wire wheel/tire questions

To: darrellw@inetarena.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wire wheel/tire questions
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 12:39:22 EDT
In a message dated 31-Jul-01 00:14:30 Eastern Daylight Time,
darrellw@inetarena.com writes:

> I've taken the plunge and ordered a set of wire wheels
> from TRF for my TR-4A IRS.  I have a few questions:
>
> 1.  What is the recommended tire size (the the wheels
> are 4.5" wide, I believe it would be 165/80R15)?

See below

> 2.  Any brand/model recommendations?  It doesn't
> seem like a popular size anymore.

I am using Michelin XZX 165SR15.  I bought them in '92 and AFAIK they are
still available.  Run very well and no problems.  These replaced the original
Michelin X's which are no longer made.

> 3.  What should the splines on the adapter be lubed
> with (grease, oil, anti-seize)?

Use lithium grease on the splines.  Redo them about once a year.

> 4.  I ordered one of the wooden "wrenches" for the
> knock-offs.  Do you use a hammer on that, or just
> tighten by hand?

Go to www.vtr.org and see the 2 articles on wire wheels in the maintenance
section.
Get a lead hammer from one of the "big three."

> 5.  Anything in particular to ask at the tire store
> who is going to mount and balance the tires?

See Randall's answer regarding the type of machine to use.  Be sure the guy
who does it knows what he is doing.  If he doesn't know about wire wheels
find someone who does.

> 6.  What pressures to you run "stock" size tires at?
> The owner's manual specs seem really low (as low as
> 17 PSI for some tires).

I run them at 24 psi front and 33 psi rear.  This is per the factory specs
for Michelin X's.  Have never had a problem in 35 years and the ride is very
good.  (Spec also says if you regularly run in speeds of 105mph or more then
28 front and 37 rear).

> 7.  Can anyone explain tire sizes like "5.90"?  Is
> it like the "p-metric" system, but something like
> a 5" cross-section, 90 series?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Darrell Walker
> 1966 TR-4A IRS

You're welcome.

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner/factory pickup)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant