Wire wheel/tire questions

To: tr list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wire wheel/tire questions
From: Darrell Walker <darrellw@inetarena.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 21:10:42 -0700
Hi,

I've taken the plunge and ordered a set of wire wheels
from TRF for my TR-4A IRS.  I have a few questions:

1.  What is the recommended tire size (the the wheels
are 4.5" wide, I believe it would be 165/80R15)?

2.  Any brand/model recommendations?  It doesn't
seem like a popular size anymore.

3.  What should the splines on the adapter be lubed
with (grease, oil, anti-seize)?

4.  I ordered one of the wooden "wrenches" for the
knock-offs.  Do you use a hammer on that, or just
tighten by hand?

5.  Anything in particular to ask at the tire store
who is going to mount and balance the tires?

6.  What pressures to you run "stock" size tires at?
The owner's manual specs seem really low (as low as
17 PSI for some tires).

7.  Can anyone explain tire sizes like "5.90"?  Is
it like the "p-metric" system, but something like
a 5" cross-section, 90 series?

Thanks!

Darrell Walker
1966 TR-4A IRS