Re: Wire wheel/tire questions

To: Darrell Walker <darrellw@inetarena.com>
Subject: Re: Wire wheel/tire questions
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 22:05:59 -0700
Cc: tr list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Darrell :

I can only help with a few :

Darrell Walker wrote:

> 3.  What should the splines on the adapter be lubed
> with (grease, oil, anti-seize)?

I used wheel bearing grease, back when I had wires, it worked OK but had
to be replaced periodically.  Today, I would probably use anti-seize
instead, the kind that is grease with flakes of copper (or nickel) in
it.

> 4.  I ordered one of the wooden "wrenches" for the
> knock-offs.  Do you use a hammer on that, or just
> tighten by hand?

I believe it's supposed to give you enough leverage to just tighten and
loosen by hand.

> 5.  Anything in particular to ask at the tire store
> who is going to mount and balance the tires?

Be sure they will use a tire changer that grips the wheels by the rim,
not by the center.  If you have the wheels "computer" balanced, be sure
they spin them up again after installing the weights.  Many machines try
to tell them exactly where to put the weights, and sometimes they are
wrong.  If the technician refuses to spin them again, "The computer is
always right", offer to take your business elsewhere.

> 7.  Can anyone explain tire sizes like "5.90"?  Is
> it like the "p-metric" system, but something like
> a 5" cross-section, 90 series?

Sort of, the "5.90" is the "section" width, in inches and hundredths of
inches.  The aspect ratio was not specified, and varied somewhat from
tire to tire, between about 75 and 85.  So, "5.90" is 5.9 inches
(nominal) or 150mm, which is generally taken as equivalent to a modern
(well, relatively) 155/80.

Many tire manufacturers have a web site, that lists minimum, nominal,
and maximum recommended wheel widths for each size of tire.  Tire Rack
also lists the info, for the tires they sell.
http://www.tirerack.com/
In addition, they sell the Dunlop SP20A in 165SR15, $42/each.  I've
never tried these, but I've usually been happy with Dunlop tires.

Randall
59 TR3A daily driver
63 Sports 6 project