Re: Wire wheel/tire questions

To: "Randall" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>, "Darrell Walker" <darrellw@inetarena.com>
Subject: Re: Wire wheel/tire questions
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 07:23:24 -0500
Cc: "tr list" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>

>> 4.  I ordered one of the wooden "wrenches" for the
>> knock-offs.  Do you use a hammer on that, or just
>> tighten by hand?
>
>I believe it's supposed to give you enough leverage to just tighten and
>loosen by hand.

No.  The long metal wrenches are a good deal longer.  I would think you have
to hit the wood thing.  I remember one person on the list said he regretted
buying the wood thing, but I don't recall if he said why.

>> 5.  Anything in particular to ask at the tire store
>> who is going to mount and balance the tires?
>
>Be sure they will use a tire changer that grips the wheels by the rim,
>not by the center.  If you have the wheels "computer" balanced, be sure
>they spin them up again after installing the weights.  Many machines try
>to tell them exactly where to put the weights, and sometimes they are
>wrong.  If the technician refuses to spin them again, "The computer is
>always right", offer to take your business elsewhere.

Good advice for any wheel.  I have never seen a tech remove the tire without
a final spin.  Can't imagine why anyone would do this, let alone refuse when
asked.

Be sure the balance machine holds the wheel the same way your car does.
There is a good picture of this in the Vicky Brit catalog.

"Kids haven't lost the feeling that the sense of wonder is more important
than wondering what makes sense.  And if that doesn't define what it takes
to like British cars, I don't know what does." -Scott Fisher