RE: Valve Stem Seals

To: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pixelsystems.com>
Subject: RE: Valve Stem Seals
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 20:07:01 -0400
Cc: "'triumphs '" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'GHaynesTR4@aol.com '" <GHaynesTR4@aol.com>, "'Brian Sanborn '" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Message text written by Mark Hooper
>I have the work I don't have time for done at a place specializing in LBCs
in Montreal. The mechanics there told me that whenever they have to do an
LBC engine head job, they specifically don't install valve seals so that
the
guides get some lubrication. They claimed that the typical LBC head oiling
is so poor that their trick is required. Sounds odd I know, but they claim
it works for them. Perhaps they were only talking about certain motors, but
that's their practice.
<

Mark, I believe that seals shouldn't be used with the iron valve guides
used as standard on LBC heads.  However, if you fit bronze guides (or
bronze inserts as my guy did) seals can be fitted.  It has less to do with
the oil supply and more to do with the valve guide material.

BTW I just had my head redone with bronze guids and stem seals and my oil
consumption went up.  I guess it has to do with the higher compression and
more blowby.

Dave