RE: Rant (was ballast resister voltage drop)

To: George Richardson <gprtech@frontiernet.net>
Subject: RE: Rant (was ballast resister voltage drop)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 16:14:17 -0700
Cc: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
George Richardson wrote :

> I never said any such thing.

Another 'opinion' ?

> I've made a suggestion, based on
> experience with the same, that won't in itself cause problems, since it
> is a valid wiring setup.

Actually, it isn't.  The instructions specify a specific ballast resistor
value to be used in this situation, you said to use a much lower value.  Of
course, I suppose you could define 'valid' as "something I think might work,
even though the manufacturer said not to do it" ...

> I presented a description of why the Crane setup might have problems.
> You presented an opposing description of why it might not, with no more
> knowledge of the internal workings than mine.

Except that my description is consistent with the installation instructions,
while yours isn't.

> Effectively, you're saying
> it shouldn't cause problems because you would have designed it so it
> wouldn't.

No, I'm saying it's best to start out assuming that the instructions are
correct, and exhaust other avenues before assuming the manufacturer doesn't
know how their unit works.
Plus presenting a very reasonable design that works the way the instructions
imply.

> You're welcome to you opinion, but you've offered no help to the person
> with the problem,

And just how do you know what I sent that person off-list ?

> and instead just seem to be intent on contradicting me, with no basis for
it.

Sorry, but IMO you're handing out bad advice.  It's certainly your right to
do so, but it's also my right to explain that it's bad.  The issue is
confusing enough without opinions being presented as facts.

Randall