Re: Valve Stem Seals

Subject: Re: Valve Stem Seals
From: Randall <randallyoung@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 20:40:42 -0700
Cc: "'triumphs '" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
I've heard the same thing, specifically about the TR2-6 motors.  I've
also been told that lubrication is even more important for the
aftermarket silicon-bronze valve guides than for the stock cast-iron
ones, as the bronze is more apt to gall to the valve stem with
insufficient lubrication.  Seals, especially the 'teflon' type, are only
for race motors, where oil control is more important than long life.

However, I was able to find teflon type seals that fit my early TR3 'Le
Mans' head with no modifications, at the local speed shop.  I just took
them the stem diameter and the guide diameter, they gave me a handful of
seals.  ISTR they were $1/each, but that's been a few years ago.  Note
that I still don't recommend seals, this was an unusual case.

Randall