TR4 Head - Serious Problem - Need Help!!!

To: "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR4 Head - Serious Problem - Need Help!!!
From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 18:37:46 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
Listers,

Hit a big snag and need some serious help.

I'm at a dead stop on the engine rebuild.   I got the rocker shaft assembly
all together so I can set the timing of the cam.  You have to use that
crazy procedure in the workshop manual.  I installed the new push rods and
the rockers..... and big trouble.   The camshaft would not move at all
after tightening down the rocker posts.  I found that none of the exhaust
valves had any play at all.

It turns out that the machine shop guy installed the hardened seats in such
a way that the top of the valve is now 1/16 inch higher that it use to
be.... 1/16 higher that the intakes.   This takes out ALL of the adjustment
gap and actually pushes down on the valve a little with the cam in the
completely closed position.

I called BPNW to see if they had any shorter pushrods... no dice.   He did
have some advice..... his first thing is to complain to the machine shop
owner..... but the damage is done.    He suggest a couple of things.... I
could grind 1/16 off the top of the exhaust valve stems, and/or grind some
meat off the bottom of the adjuster end of the rocker to great some play...
and/or shorten up the exhaust push rods by pulling the head off and cutting
down the shaft and pressing the head back in.

This has me really bummed.   I thought that I was doing the right thing by
having the valve inserts done.  I have taken this week off to reassemble
the car and now I am stalled.   The machine shop guy is on vacation in
Disneyland with his family and won't be back until Monday the 26th.  But
unless he rips out the exhaust seats and redoes them... if that's
possible... I'm stuck.   I could have my backup head done instead.... but
that has other problems.

Anybody seen this problem before?   Any advice is welcome

Brian Sanborn
62 TR4          CT16260L  - Groton,  MA
sanborn@net1plus.com