RE: Stromberg needles

To: "'Bud Rolofson'" <Bud_Rolofson@nps.gov>, "'Philip E. Barnes'" <peb3@cornell.edu>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Stromberg needles
From: jaltman@altlaw.com
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 1999 18:11:56 -0400charset="iso-8859-1"
The difference with a new set of needles is truly remarkable.  I was running
chronically lean.  My 69 had some interesting mods prior to my ownership.
The carb pistons had been replaced with later model ones to allow adjustable
needles, but B1AF is a much leaner needle than the B2Y called for in the 69.

Last weekend my new set of B2Y's arrived and I ground down the sealed top of
the fixed housing assembly and removed the needle from the insides.  I
disassembled the adjustable housings from the B1AF and replaced those
needles with the new ones.  Upon reinstallation I have adjustable B2Y's.

My idle is absolutely stable.  Much better acceleration at highway speeds.
The engine runs noticeably cooler.  Cold starting is easier and time
necessary to get to "turn off the choke" is reduced to nearly nothing.

These results are product both of new needles, but also right needles.

Jim Altman  jaltman@altlaw.com Illigitimi non Carborundum
http://www.altlaw.com/metro/jaltman.html    69-TR6#CC28754L  W4UCK