Re: Chroming Wire Wheels

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Chroming Wire Wheels
From: Keith A Edwards <kedwards@norfolk.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 12:55:35 -0500
Cc: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Egil Kvaleberg wrote:

> On 28 Jan 1999, rtriplett@bjservices.com wrote:
>
> > I'm considering buying used painted wire wheels for my TR3, and wonder if
> > anyone has had that type of wheel chromed?
>
> First of all, forget chroming painted wheels. They would need to be
> completely disassembled and respoked. It would certainly be many times
> more expensive than buying new, chromed wheels.
>
> But why not keep the wheels as they are? Chrome wire wheels around the
> time of the TR3 was AFAIK pretty uncommon, even in the US.

Optional, officially, but very uncommon.

> IMHO chrome wires simply does not look right on any TR (or a 50s Ferrari
> for that sake), and painted wheels certainly gives the car a much more
> "period" and authentic feel. Which is some of the purpose of the entire
> excercise, isn't it?
SNIP

I agree.  IMNSHO, if you had wanted a Jaguar, you should have bought a
Jaguar! ;-)>

Keith Edwards, forensic "mechanic"
Suffolk, VA
kedwards@norfolk.infi.net
http://members.tripod.com/~Keith_Edwards/
1962 TR3B with painted wire wheels
1962 TR3B (former SCCA race car) with ARE magnesium wheels
1967 TR4A with painted wire wheels
1967 TR4A
1982 tandem-axle trailer with painted wire wheels
1954 Austin-Healey with painted wire wheels
1954 Austin Princess Vanden Plas limo