Re: Chroming Wire Wheels

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Chroming Wire Wheels
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egil@kvaleberg.no>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 07:35:12 GMT
On 28 Jan 1999, rtriplett@bjservices.com wrote:

> I'm considering buying used painted wire wheels for my TR3, and wonder if
> anyone has had that type of wheel chromed?

First of all, forget chroming painted wheels. They would need to be
completely disassembled and respoked. It would certainly be many times
more expensive than buying new, chromed wheels.

But why not keep the wheels as they are? Chrome wire wheels around the
time of the TR3 was AFAIK pretty uncommon, even in the US.

IMHO chrome wires simply does not look right on any TR (or a 50s Ferrari
for that sake), and painted wheels certainly gives the car a much more
"period" and authentic feel. Which is some of the purpose of the entire
excercise, isn't it?

Besides, there are very sound technical and practical reasons for wanting
painted wheels.

Egil
--
Email: egil@kvaleberg.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Mail:  Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway