RE: TR6 vibration

To: Chris Kincer <cgkincer@yahoo.com>, "INTERNET:triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR6 vibration
From: Tony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1999 23:30:52 -0500
Chris,

I had such a vibration.  It was really nasty.  It was a combination of 3
things.  The first was a drive shaft that was phased wrong.  The two yokes on
the
shaft should be parallel to each other.

The second was that the front U-joint on the drive shaft was very very bad.

The third was that the driveshaft was bent/out of balance.

In my case, I think that a DPO had a bent vibrating shaft.  Somebody got the
bright idea to CREATE a vibration that counteracted the original vibration by
intentionally mis-phasing the drive shaft.  The remaining vibration eventually
destroyed the u-joint.  Now it is as smooth as silk.  For the price of 2
u-joints
and a straightening and balancing.   Cost about $100 total and I did the removal
and installation of the drive shaft.

I noticed the vibration very strongly in the shifter, much less in the seat
of my pants.  Where do you feel the vibration?
-Tony

Message text written by INTERNET:triumphs-owner@autox.team.net
From: Chris Kincer <cgkincer@yahoo.com>
Subject: TR6 Vibration

Listers,

One more question concerning my Magenta TR6.
I've not drove the car in a couple of years, but while I drove it as a
daily driver, the car would vibrate in the 25-65 mph range.  Once I
reached somewhere over 70MPH the cars ride was smooth as silk.  Since
the car didn't do this idling it makes me thing that it's not engine
related.  At first I thought it might be suspension, but after reading
the triumph list for a couple of weeks, I now think the vibration
might be bent or warped hubs.  Does anyone have any insight on what
the problem could be?  The car is currently getting a new paint job,
and Interior, I would love it if the car rode as good as it is going
to look.
<