RE: break in oil question

To: "'jguy@erinet.com'" <jguy@erinet.com>
Subject: RE: break in oil question
From: Tom Gentry <tgentry@execpc.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:35:40 -0600
Cc: "'Triumphant Ones'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Jeff Johnson wrote:
>>General Motors had to go with a synthetic oil in the Corvettes' engines
because they had a design problem. On cold start-up, conventional motor
oil could not flow fast enough to lubricate the overhead cams and major
damage resulted. <<

Jeff, I'm not sure where you got your information, but the Corvette engine
(LS-1) is not an overhead cam design.  The same engine when used in a Firebird
or Camaro does not come with synthetic oil.  The reasoning that I have read for
the difference in lubrication is that the Corvette had a slight overheating
problem which the synthetic oil fixed due to lower friction.

Tom Gentry
Life is too short to drive boring cars!
'96 Ford SVT Cobra Mystic #1345 (mostly stock)
'72 Triumph TR-6 OD (highly modified)
'59 Triumph 10 Sedan (in boxes)