Re: break in oil question

To: kengano@advant.com
Subject: Re: break in oil question
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 08:13:07 -0600 (CST)
On Thu, 21 Jan 1999 kengano@advant.com wrote:

> It has been suggested that a person should use petroleum-based oil for the
> first run on a new re-build and then change to synthetic at the first oil
> change.  Why?
>
> Ken Gano
> downstate illinois
> '59 TR3A TS57756L (close to "first run')
> '58 TR10 TBE9239LDLB

        Ken,

        As I have been told, the synthetic oil because of its lubricating
        properties will hinder the breaking in of your newly rebuilt engine,
        The rings must "bed-in" on the cylinder walls to seal properly,
        raising compression to where it should be.
        With standard single weght oil the bedding in process will occur
        within a few hundred miles. Using synthetic, the process will take
        much longer (I have actually seen an engine where synthetic was
        used from the start... a year after rebuild the hone marks were
        still visible on the cylinder walls).

        Of course the above advice could be apochryphal, but it seems a
        valid bit of information.

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois