RE: break in oil question

To: "'Triumphant Ones'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>, "'Tom Gentry'" <tgentry@execpc.com>
Subject: RE: break in oil question
From: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 10:37:28 -0500charset="iso-8859-1"
That's a good question.  When I was looking into ordering a Camaro SS last
Spring, one of the options was synthetic lubricants.  And these were brand
new cars fresh off of the SLP production line.  Here's another point:  I
remember when I bought a new car in the mid 80's, the service schedule
required coming in at 1,000 miles to change out the break-in oil, which was
a non-multi vis, non-detergent oil.  At 1,000 miles, they would change it to
muti-vis.  The service guy told me that detergent oil like your typical
10W-40 keeps particles suspended which is NOT what you want while breaking
in.  During breaking in, you want all the tiny little metal particles that
result from "seating" to settle to the bottom, not continue getting pumped
through your engine.  But, the last two new cars I bought came new with
multi-vis and the service schedule doesn't call for any change-out after the
break-in period.  Maybe engine technology HAS changed.  Or maybe the
engineers just discovered that they were wrong all those years.
Regards, Greg
76 TR6
68 MGB/GT