Re: GT40/Rotoflex(!?)

To: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Subject: Re: GT40/Rotoflex(!?)
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 07:32:52 -0800
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>I suspect the problem is "cheap replacement parts".  None of our motors, not
>even a stock-ish  V6, should put out enough torque to tear up a rotoflex.  I
>bought the QH (ugh?) type and have had no problems with 12k of street
>driving and 3 vintage race weekends.
You may be correct, but all I know is that I used the same "replacements,
(QH)" on all my cars.  The ones in the GT6+ are still in there after eight
years and several thousands of miles, with no serious cracks or
separations, but the Spit's would fail after several months of use -  All
things being equal I contend that the replacements weren't up to the task
at hand, and fixed the problem by replacing the joint with ones that could
handle the torque.  Granted there *may* be sturdier ones used for formula
Fords and such as seen in several of the racing publications, but at over
$90 apiece, I didn't want to take the chance.  Anyway, I figured it would
be less costly and EASIER in the long run (for me) to just replace them
with something else -  As it turns out, the setup I have now is FAR EASIER
to disassemble and repair than the old rubber doughnuts, ( I can have a
complete axle setup on the bench in about 10 to 15 minutes) but as yet I
haven't had to replace anything :-)

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)