Re: Krappy Krome

To: 75TRSix@snet.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Krappy Krome
From: dstauffa@csc.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:54:11 -0800
Living in San Diego, we have to be really careful of who we chose to have
chorme our parts.  Some businesses are just store fronts.  They take the
parts across the border to Mexico for a cheap, flash chrome job.  Stuff's
good for about a year.  I would recommend staying away from anything plated
in a foreign country.

For those that want quality, i.e., copper, nickel, chrome plating, there
are a few reputable shops.  Word of mouth recommendations are a good
source.  I agree with what someone has already suggested - talk to the
local hot rodders and bikers.  On your own, one way to check is to peek
back behind the counter to see if they are plating in that location.  A
good first sign.  Look at the work that's finished and in progress.  And
just plain ask if they triple plate.

Good luck.  Been there, done that, with the cheap shops.  Ended up having
it rechomed at quality shop!!

Dave,
San Diego, Ca