Re: Krappy Krome

To: passaretti@sol.med.ge.com
Subject: Re: Krappy Krome
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 15:41:54 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Hi,

(and Hi TeriAnne)

With respect to chrome parts available from wherever - two observations.

1. The original chrome wasn't too good anyway, so perhaps the new repro
stuff is just "authentic" in every detail. My '74 TR6 had chrome peeling
off the bumpers when the car was less than one year old.

2. If you ask folks at Moss or TRF or whatever, they'll likely tell you to
rechrome the new parts as soon as you get them... if you want the chrome to
last. I know it sounds hokey - but it is true.

The reason for this is that the new parts get sourced from the cheapest
source - guess what that means?? I can say that you most certainly do not
get triple plated parts (copper nickel chrome).

If you did get triple plated parts, your bumper would cost $500 instead of
$250 or whatever. Remember, a good chrome job is due to the amount of labor
invested. Cheap prices come from sub standard labor practices.

This is one reason that you should never-ever toss an orignal TR anything
bumper unless it is rusted through or mangled beyond recognition. The
originals really were much better than the repros.

I'll point out that this topic comes up from time to time on the list...
FAQ people, want a submission about chrome and TR's???

regards,
rml
TR6's with re-chromed original bumpers.