RE: Krappy Krome

To: "Hutmacher, Greg" <ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com>
Subject: RE: Krappy Krome
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:10:00 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Hutmacher, Greg wrote:

> How are dents removed from an original bumper that is to be re-chromed?  I
> have an original with a small dent that I was going to replace with a new
> bumper.

If it's a "real" 76 bumper - good luck! Depends on where the dent is. 75
and 76 TR6's had a freakin beam-o-steel in the bumper, and the repair
would require grinding out the reinforcement to get to the dents. This
presumes that the dent is in the "middle". If it is on the ends, you
might be able to knock 'em out much like you would repair a fender, er
ahem, wing. There's also the possibility of drilling the bumper, pulling
the dent and then welding things up.

Then you re-chrome.

In other words - you should be looking for an unmolested orignal bumper
that needs rechroming.

If the dent is very minor, a good chrome shop can grind and plate to "fill
in" the dent, but this is for minor dents. And it will take a lot of
labor, as each plating step requires buffing == time == money.

> Thanks, Greg
> 76 TR6
> 68 MGB/GT

Good luck!
rml
TR6's
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |