Re: PI

To: Anthony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Subject: Re: PI
From: Tomislav Marincic <TomAndKate@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 11:18:49 -0500
Cc: Triumph list <triumphs@autox.team.net>
        Anthony,

RE :"Why do I want to do this?  I just wanted to get some extra horses at a
reasonable cost."

        I understand, and of course I respect your right to enjoy your
TR as you see fit, just as I reserve the same right for myself. But my
post was merely a reaction to the question of "reasonable cost". You may
be able to get a PI system from a 2.5 PI sedan for $500 used, but I'm
sure you realize that will probably only be the tip of the iceberg. We've
all torn into "small" jobs that mushroomed far beyond our original
expectations, but what you propose is no small job, it's an engineering
project. By the time you replace the fuel tank, fabricate a suitable
pump, swap cams, cam chain, lifters, sprockets (you wouldn't use
the old ones, would you?) and raise the compression, you're going to
be deep into the piggy bank, and that's assuming everything works
perfectly with no surprises. If you have trouble halfway through the
job, there are few mechanics in North America who will have experience
sorting out a Lucas PI system. And in the worst case, you've introduced
120 psi fuel into an old fuel system in close proximity to ignition
sources...

        Enjoy the project for what it is, and I'll be the first gawker
in line at the shows to admire your masterpiece. But I think talk
of "reasonable cost" might be a bit optimistic. There are cheaper ways
to gain HP.

RE:"This is just my way of getting extra go and having fun with my kids
 who now appear to know what a spanner can really do." This is the best
reason of all. I hope my 2-year old son displays a similar interest some
day.

        Best regards,

        Tom Marincic
        CD3574L

        P.S. IMO, the later US-spec cam is a performance upgrade
for the CC series TR6's and the TR250. The overall power declined
for other reasons (that dropped the peak torque), but the engine
breathed better through the dual exhaust, new intake and head, and
later cam. Notice how the RPM at which peak power occurs kept rising?