RE: unsupported character set?

To: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Subject: RE: unsupported character set?
From: Malcolm Walker <walker05@camosun.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:19:56 -0800 (PST)
Cc: "'Peter Zaborski'" <peterz@merak.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Mon, 18 Jan 1999, Jim Hill wrote:

> > > This message uses a character set that is not supported by
> > > the Internet Mail Service.  To view the original message
> > > content,  open the attached message. If the text doesn't
> > > display correctly, save the attachment to disk, and then open
> > > it using a viewer that can display the original character set.
>
> This began only recently and happens ONLY with notes sent from the Triumph
> group - none of the email I get from other newsgroups is similarly affected.
> The only way I can read the messages is to save the attachment to disk and
> then open it in WordPad or some other text editor. When I do so, it is not
> at all apparent what character or "character set" is causing the problem.

The character set used in Alan's message is the "iso-8859-1" set.  You
should be able to get a patch or a set for MicroSoftie's product that will
decode this character.

FWIW, normal ascii (the stuff you can type with the keyboard) is not
affected.  I think it's just the hi-bit characters (fractions,
language-specifics, etc) that get misrepresented.

Shame on the Big Corporations for not displaying it at all.  I get a
warning from PINE mail (go 'loo!!!), but it displays the message anyway.

-Malcolm
* There is a FAQ for this list!  Its temporary home is:
http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/walker/triumph/trfaq.htm