RE: unsupported character set?

To: "'Peter Zaborski'" <peterz@merak.com>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: unsupported character set?
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 18:25:59 -0600
Cc: "'mjb@cs.utah.edu'" <mjb@cs.utah.edu>
Alan Myers [reagntsj@ricochet.net]
Peter Juergens [peter.Juergens@gis.dew.de]
Jeff Arrowsmith [jarrow@dlcwest.com]
Brian Johnson [b.johnson@diamond.co.uk]

Peter Zaborski wrote:

> A recent message from Alan Myers (Alan I don't mean to single you out)
> appears below. Are others having the same problem reading messages?

Yes - just today I received messages like that which originated from:

Alan Myers [reagntsj@ricochet.net] (several instances)
Peter Juergens [peter.Juergens@gis.dew.de]
Jeff Arrowsmith [jarrow@dlcwest.com]
Brian Johnson [b.johnson@diamond.co.uk]

All came with the following note (as you quoted):

> > This message uses a character set that is not supported by
> > the Internet Mail Service.  To view the original message
> > content,  open the attached message. If the text doesn't
> > display correctly, save the attachment to disk, and then open
> > it using a viewer that can display the original character set.

This began only recently and happens ONLY with notes sent from the Triumph
group - none of the email I get from other newsgroups is similarly affected.
The only way I can read the messages is to save the attachment to disk and
then open it in WordPad or some other text editor. When I do so, it is not
at all apparent what character or "character set" is causing the problem.

Jim Hill
Madison WI