TR6 maintainance tip

To: "Triumphs" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 maintainance tip
From: "Lonn Howard" <hoops@owt.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 22:22:09 -0800charset="_autodetect_all"
I just spent a frustrating several hours replacing the driveline u-joints
during the play-offs.  This could have been a much easier job had I not had
to hacksaw off the rear flange bolts.  So, the next time you are crawling
around under there, do yourself a favor...  tighten up the bolts that hold
the front of the diff to the diff mount cross member.  Imagine if you will
one of those little buggers getting loose.  Say, loose enough that it backs
out far enough to hit the four flange bolts as they are spinning.  Of course
you are going to hear the impacts and stop on the side of the road to
investigate.  After discovering the source of the ruckus you will tighten
the offending bolt.  But remember that it whacked the hell out of those
flange bolts three or four hundred times before you could pull over.  Now
all the flange bolts are buggered up but you don't really have to worry
about that for years and years, right?

My, how time flies...

Also, when you next have the pleasure of going to a muffler shop, inform
them in no uncertain terms that if they weld your entire exhuast system
together thereby making it impossible to remove to effect certain repairs,
say, replacing the FRIGGING DRIVELINE U-JOINTS you will most certainly come
back in a homicidal frenzy and kill them all.

That is all for now.

Lonn Howard
'70 TR6  -mine (with new u-joints AND fine-thread flange bolts)
'71 TR6  -in my garage, therefore it's mine  (dad might disagree)
'70 MGB GT  -mine, mine... all mine
'89 Saab Turbo Convertible  -hers

"We are but temporary custodians with an obligation of preservation."