Re: TR6 - PI

To: john_mcmaster@dpa.act.gov.au
Subject: Re: TR6 - PI
From: Anthony Gordon <tgordon@saginaw-city.k12.mi.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 07:56:54 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
John,

Many thanks for the notes.  The list is a really powerful resource, and
each subsequent reply adds a little more to the mix (your's definitely
included!) and I feel I already know enough about this mod to make it work!
  On the pressure front - your right: everyone has made the same
observation - these are not electrically triggered but pressure triggered
so they have to have high pressure.  On the tank front - I think I might be
lucky.  From my reading of Piggott, it looks like all tanks were baffled
(as part of standarization as much as fuel surge) in very late 1971 for
1972 model year.  I haven't had any surge probs with the ZSs (I know that
the float chamber acts as a short term reserve, so it wouldn't be as
obvious but we do use the car in autocross and haven't seen a problem there
- then again, maybe we're just too slow!!).

I am very interested to learn more about the Bosch route - have you got a
spec for the pump (and hopefully an idea of what it lives in so I might be
able to recycle one!).  On the priming pump front - universal advice is get
one!  What do you use as your low pressure primer pump?

I also was asked if I was purchasing the distributor for the car (one post
mentioned that the PI doesn't have the dual vaccuum unit - nor does the
1972 carb TR6 anyway), but I am sure that the centifugal bob weights and
springs are different.  Did you have to do much to your '71 system on that
front?

Although I would be limited by the SCCA rules for mods to autocross cars
(or would have to compete against Formula Fords!), I can't do too much to
the internals, but I am interested in what you did to get the power up to
190bhp!

I will be keeping a log on this task and will post it, hopefully, to the
FAQs.  Before I do, I'd appreciate it if you would be willing to check my
interpretation of how this might be done!

Cheers,

Tony