Re: Girly car

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Girly car
From: "Michael D. Porter" <mdporter@rt66.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 20:02:05 -0700
Bud Rolofson wrote:

> In Mike's defense, wasn't it the 6 cylinder engine in his Jaguar that he was
> referring to as girly and not the GT6.
>
> He didn't mean to offend you over sensitive GT6 owners, only those with 6
> cylinder engines in their cars.  Hey wait a minute!!
>
> On second thought....give him hell.

Okay! <g> I find it curious that "girly" be applied to an engine which,
in similar trim, also occupied the innards of an E-type, which could
hardly be described as a car only fit for girls (one of the _real_ tests
of manhood is doing a clutch job on one without shedding tears of
frustration).... I would also suggest that the V-8 swap had less to do
with "manliness" than with a desire for minimal maintenance, and as we
all know, continual maintenance is the _object_ of owning a British
car.... <smile>

Now, hmmm, about the GT6... yes, the car is related to the Spitfire, and
the Spitfire is often unfairly condemned as a woman's car (mostly by
Spridget owners), but is also equipped with a 6-cylinder of
approximately the same displacement and power as Mr. Thompson's TR3, and
weighs about 300 pounds less, which, unless the laws of physics have
recently been repealed, translates to higher rates of acceleration. Its
suspension is more advanced than that of the TR3 (Rotoflex models in
mind, here), and that, combined with rack and pinion steering and front
sway bar, translates to better control and cornering ability, and, as
well, is equipped from the factory with front disc brakes. Moreover, it
is shorter than the TR3, and therefore is more easily parallel-parked.

The top does not come down, true, but the unretractable top allows more
heat and oil fumes to be trapped in the driver's compartment, thus
imparting a more realistic sense of driving a British car. Further, its
locking steering wheel and roll-up windows make it marginally less easy
to steal.

Don't get me wrong--I like the side-curtain cars--very classic lines and
quite stylish. Wish I had one (and might--there's one for sale in the
area at a good price, I hear). But, even my bucket of bolts GT6 with the
2.5 liter engine and 3.89:1 rear installed accelerates quickly enough to
burn the butt hair off Mr. Thompson in his TR3.

Thanks, I needed that. <g>

Cheers.