Re: TR4 Carpet

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: TR4 Carpet
From: "Power British Performance Parts, Inc." <britcars@powerbritish.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 1999 10:09:23 -0500
Henry Frye wrote:

> Dennis,
>
> I have a Moss nylon loop curl carpet in my TR3B. I rationalized going the
> cheap route (not buying the cut pile) because I've read all TR3B's all came
> with vinahyde seats and loop carpets. I am less than impressed with the
> carpet.
>
> First, and most annoying is the gearbox hump. Where the carpet bends around
> the gearbox cover, the loops are pulled apart, so you can plainly see the
> carpet's base material. This is the carpet's most visible location, and it
> really does not look good. In this location, this in not a wear issue, it
> is simply the density of loops is not high enough to provide a good fill
> when the carpet is formed to the gearbox cover.
>
> Secondly, the carpet is not wearing well at all. It has been in two
> seasons, probably about 4000 miles. The footwell areas are really showing a
> lot of wear. I really should use floormats but I don't like them sliding
> around constantly.
>
> I have kept my car very original, but when this carpet wears out I am going
> for a good quality cut pile carpet set. I think the look and wearability of
> this nylon loop stuff is really cheezy.
>
> As always, YMMV.
>
> At 06:33 PM 1/3/99 -0800, you wrote:
> >
> >Hi Listers: I am considering taking out the brand new black cut pile
> >carpet set from my nearly completed TR4. The new Porter book shows a
> >"gray" loop carpet that appears to fit well and may be closer to the
> >original. Moss describes it in their catalog.  I very much like the look
> >as shown in the photo in Porters book. Can anyone of you tell me of
> >experiences with the loop pile versus the cut pile ?  Also, have any of
> >you purchased this type from Moss; how is the fit ??
> >As always, I value your opinions. Apologies for the bandwidth.
> >Thank you
> >Dennis Barr

Dennis,

I've used a nice loop carpet from Kanter Auto Products with excellent results.
It
doesn't show the backing when bent around the tunnel like Henry said his does,
and the
fit and so-forth is quite good.  I have this in my TR-4 and it still looks new
after 3
years and a lot of miles (just under 7000 this past summer).

Mark Walker <MDWalker@compuserve.com> on the list also mentioned being able to
supply
carpets some time ago.  I haven't bought from him, but the prices were good and
think I'll try one of his sets on my TR-6.

Regards,

Brian Schlorff    '61 TR-4     '64 TR-4     '72 TR-6     '79 Spit
     Power British                             Check out Power British
    371 E. Main St.                                    on the 'net!
Norristown, PA 19401
   (610) 270-0505              http://www.powerbritish.com/~britcars